Credit Union History
Credit Union history stems back to 1909 when the first Credit Union opened in Manchester, New Hampshire. Credit Unions are a not-for-profit financial institution, which means, making profit is not our primary goal. Our number one goal as a financial institution is to serve our members. Members like you, that started our Credit Union in a shoe box in a Safeway Employee desk drawer. It was at that time, by our founding members, they designed our overall purpose:
Safeway Federal Credit Union exists solely for the benefit of our member/owners.
To guide us toward that end, our primary goals are:
• To continue building long-term value for our members through capital growth.
• To offer competitive terms on our services and products.
• To develop a work environment that motivates our employees to deliver the best possible service to our members.
Today, that mission statement is still our primary guidance in all decisions we make. We have members like you that volunteer their time as our board of directors. They make sure we are not only continuing that philosophy but, making the best financial decisions possible. We also still hold true to our primary membership base also. In order to join and be a member of Safeway Federal Credit Union you must meet one of the following criteria:
Who Can Join The Safeway Federal Credit Union?
Recently expanded, membership is pretty simple:
Current employees of Safeway, Albertsons and Yokes and their family members.
- Adoptive & Step relationships (as above)
- Household members of existing members or member-eligible-persons.
(persons living in the same residence maintaining a single economic unit)
- Retired Safeway Employees
(509) 483-9416 or (800) 365-5168.
Apply for Membership